Richard Gwin granted a tract of land along the stream that now bears his name, Gwynn’s Falls, with exclusive rights to trade with the Algonquins.
Peter Bond, Richard Gwin’s son-in-law builds a mill in the vicinity.
John Shly builds a grist mill near present-day Dickeyville
Martin Tschudy, a Swiss mill owner, buys the mill and a stone house from Shly
Oldest houses in village date from this period
Franklin Paper Mill starts production. Village is known as Franklinville
Franklin Woolen Mill built
Wethered family, John, Charles, and George, purchase Franklin Mill. Name of village is changed to Wetheredsville
Ashland Mill (now the Ballymena Mill) built on the site of a paper mill owned by Samuel Tschudy from 1821
John Wethered elected to Congress
Ashland Chapel dedicated
Powhatan Dam breaks and floods the village.
Village again flooded. Wethereds again repair damage to mills and equipment
Covered bridge over Gwynn’s Falls destroyed in Freshet—a flood caused by heavy rains
Wethereds sell mills, 300 acres of land and unspecified number of houses to William J. Dickey for $82,000. Distinctive wooden frame houses built for workers, together with a warehouse and company store, signaling a period of expansion
Wetheredsville Presbyterian Church dedicated. Completed 1889
After the death of William J. Dickey, name of village changed to Dickeyville. Wetheredsville Presbyterian Church renamed Dickey Memorial Presbyterian Church.
Mills leased by Ashland Manufacturing Company of Baltimore. With the Stock Market crash of 1929, village goes into decline and is renamed Hillsdale
Muralist R.McGill Mackall converts Mill Warehouse into a studio and home
Village bought at auction by developers for $42,000; Two weeks after the sale, the Franklin Mill complex is destroyed by fire. Restoration and gentrification begins. Name is changed back to Dickeyville and major streets are renamed.
Dickeyville Community Association founded
Ashland Chapel converted into private residence
Village listed in the National Register of Historic Places
Return to Village History
Return to About Dickeyville